Monday, January 10, 2011

Lines. And points.

This is a math post.. Link rather... And folks who do not have a taste for it, don't blame me- you were warned!

I can't say I possessed a great liking for geometry at school, for whatever reason. Arithmetic was good (i am still in love with complex numbers), calculus was awesome. Algebra lost its charm later- maybe it got a little mundane, but for starters it was almost like solving some mystery ;) Trigonometry still leaves a bad taste as I think of the word. Computation is a word I learnt long after I had started liking it. Geometry on the other hand, and here I mean the Euclid kind of geometry, was one topic I developed a liking for after finishing school. As much as I hated the chapter on tangents and the 29 questions in the CBSE text, I loved geometry theorems after school... I still can't go past a new geometry result and resist the temptation to prove it. 
(Ahem.. And if you are still thinking about the 29 questions- no I don't remember the exact number. I just conjured up a convincing one ;))

So when I came across this post on Pascal lines I thought I would post it for fellow math lovers to read... The beauty of geometry lies in its essential simplicity- who would have thought that one circle and some lines across it could result in Steiner points, Kirkman points and so many other points named after people*. AND Cayley lines. AND theorems with Cayley lines and Steiner points.. It is really all beautiful. Especially when I think about whether my circular pen stand and all the refills it holds form pascal lines and hexagons and blah de blah... (Curse my imagination, huh!)

Anyway, check out this link... :) And for today,















 Image Courtesy: http://talent.randomoriginal.com/2010/09/13/thats-all-folks-the-open-call-is-officially-closed

*Someday I should catch hold of some new points and name them after myself to leave an indelible mark in the math world :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated mostly to skip spam. Posting anything else is ok! As far as possible, please try to be respectful and criticize the idea, not the person (including other readers!)
Thanks!