Saturday, August 4, 2007

On the romanticisms of nature lovers n the publicity hawks

I walk along the Eliot's (fondly called Bessy Beach), Chennai dis morning. I simply love the morning beach, it s among the few things of beauty in which man cannot match the skills of nature. I dunno hw t happens, bt the waves are so satisfyin tat wenever i stand at the edge of d water, they make me wish i could stand ther forever...
Away from al the sad realities of life, the sorrows, the jealousies, the push-u-downs , the pull-me-ups, the stinking slums, the city-reflectin mirrors of IT parks , the mathematical equations, the humungous astronomical theories n d minute quarkisms, the greeting cards, poems , paintings, the complexities of economic policies, the elections, n den again the drear monotony of day to day ablutions, from which the waves are a welcome turnover...
Anyway, disgressions apart, as i was lost in these contemplations n the church bell struck to announce 6 am ,i started walkin back, stil in my own world, least bothered abt d sea of ppl , engrossed in their self-conscious stroll, as a hand thrusts a bag of chips into mine!!!
I look at her, thinkin she has probably found d wrong person, or worse stil, does she xpect me to pay?? (I must confess i don carry any sorta money, even miniscule change wen i go in d mornin) I blink at her, but by den, v re surrounded by cameras, n i realise I'm on air!!! It s a tv show!!! As she holds the mike forward, I blabber answers to her questions, still in a sorta trance, n walk away speedily. (for readers who re unfamiliar with the Bessy Beach, ther re radio shows n tv programs, that give u complimentary gifts, n take interviews, conduct quizzes, etc!)
N at d end of the road s, of course, the guy who shoves "The Deccan Chronicle" into ur hands. Jus tat I ve got used to him.
(This with a sticker on the paper, announcin the name of his company or hotel or shop or watever!)
Furtherin my musings, i think, "Publicity alright! Bt publicity at the cost of human peace? Have v become so depraved as to use every minute of our lives in a self-centred business endeavour? (Im not anti- technology, i only wanna protect the despoilin of beauty, wherever t may lie!)

In the future, shant v have nethin to stop n stare?????

1 comment:

  1. I went at 12 mid night to the elliots beach with cousins once and was met with the same pamphlets, stickers blah blah..pity the beach has turned into a place for 'business endeavours' as u rightly put it!
    nice post again:) keep it goin:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated mostly to skip spam. Posting anything else is ok! As far as possible, please try to be respectful and criticize the idea, not the person (including other readers!)
Thanks!